Friday, November 6, 2015

Dragon Con - Part 3 - Steampunk

Sunday!

Steampunk:


Bought shirt online. 

The jacket is modded from a used clothing shop find - cut bottom half of sleeves off, opened upper sleeve to add clock material, reattached lower sleeves and covered seam with decorative stripe on stripe.  Changed out brass buttons for silver ones.

Underbust corset/girdle is made from faux leather, backed with linen, boning is plastic, so it's really more of a fashion thing, but I put a lot of it in. I'll try to take pictures of it later, as it was a kind of weird design I suspect, but I like it.

Skirt is all-new fabric, except for some of the black bias tape, which I got in fabric swap or was left over from a quilting project.  I bought the clock material a few years ago, when we were starting to get into going to Steampunk events. I'd made a vest from a variant on this design (brown as well as black and white), and gotten "helpful" comments from someone at SPWF and put the rest of the fabric into storage. But I love the clock fabric and decided I didn't give a damn that some people might think it was a novice fabric for Steampunk.

The mini-bustle needs some more work; winter project.

The spats I made earlier this year and I use them around the yard when I'm gardening and have worn them hiking as well (tick protection). Two decorative button at the top outside on each, matching the buttons on the jacket. The actual closures are a long velcro strip, because I wanted to optimize tick protection. The buttons do still serve a purpose, in that they inform me as to which leg each one goes on. Linen, lined with tight-weave cotton, both from stash.

Bloomers are up-cycled from a skirt I used to wear for doing garland dancing.





Two hair ornaments. The upper one is made from new organdy and scrap "silky" fabric from the girdle book supplies, pleated onto a piece of felt from a friend's scrap stash. The red jewel is actually a clip-on earring I got from Ocean State Job Lot some years back -- I cut a small slit in the felt and put the clip part through, that's it.  The other ornament is a bow made from some bits I decided I didn't need on the mini-bustle and had trimmed off, plus a bit of silky scrap that I put over the middle -- some type of pleating I think -- attached with a bobby pin run through the stitching.

Close-up of ruffling on the skirt.  Pretty happy with the pleating and the black and white layering; wish I'd made it a little lower down on the skirt.  Perfectly comfortable for a long drive in a car with it's sloped seats, but have to sit closer to the edge of the seat if I'm sitting upright on a regular chair.





I've worn the jacket and skirt since, working 7+ hour days standing at a cotton candy stand, and they function well as clothing.





No comments:

Post a Comment