Friday, November 6, 2015

Dragon Con 2015 - A few thoughts

Family matters and other things led to a busy summer and I fell behind on costuming. I ended up not doing Sun Lee, although I'll see if I can do more on that this winter/spring. A lot of struggles and setbacks trying to work on that... I think I'll continue with the parts I have at this point, but in the future I may work with different materials. I have some thoughts on armor - smaller pieces, anyway - but it's going to require me to do some experiments.

I worked on the Snow Queen cloak on the road, which was okay. It's a long drive and I can't read books aloud to L for 16 hours straight anyway.

What I wasn't happy with was having to bring a glue gun and all the possible bits for working on the Snow Queen headdress. It didn't really add to the amount of luggage we had, but it did take up time at Dragon Con and made for a more stressful time.

***

I'm also looking at either not making anything for sale to folks at the con next year or at least not in chocolate. It's a challenge keeping chocolate at the right temp for a long drive and then over several days in GA, while trying to get people to pick up their goods. If I do bring something next year, I'll set one or two definite times and places, and people either get their stuff or they don't. The nice thing about food is you can always eat the leftovers on the trip home.  I'm contemplating maple-coated pecans...

***

The hand fans worked well with the costumes and it was nice to be able to cool off as needed.

***

This year, I'm already well on my way to finishing one of my costumes. Cinderaptor has a dress, plain black choker, head, and wig. I've just about figure out how I want to do the arms and hands - and will likely attach them at the shoulder to the under-dress, which means I'll probably need L to help me put on the over-dress, but we'll see.... and I need to make slippers.  Haven't decided on if I'll have a tail or not.

I think the slippers will be next, and then start work on the Azure Dragon. L still hasn't made up his mind on what he'll be for Chinese Mythological Creatures. I'll give him until February....maybe. It can't be pulled out of his existing wardrobe like most of his previous costumes, so no waiting until next summer :D

So that's two costumes for me for sure, and one for L. I should be able to do Sun Lee this year....I feel like I'm forgetting something....sigh. Well, besides the possibility of doing an Amidala.

No comments:

Post a Comment