Friday, November 6, 2015

Dragon Con 2015 - Part 2 - Snow Queen

Saturday:

In the morning we saw the parade and I managed to get a pic or two of Leah Lloyd and the Obscurus Crusade crew. We should have gotten there earlier than we did -- if I go to the parade again it'll either be because I'm in the parade or with contractor stilts on. Still, it was cool seeing Nichelle Nichols:






I think we went to Comic Book Alley in the afternoon? Not sure.

At night was Snow Queen, solo. Too bad that I couldn't get it together for the afternoon, then I could have seen Leah in-person instead of through photos. But I did get to meet a new person, Ivy Star, so that was good.



I should do a separate post on the hat, and will try to do so later. Mostly from scrap and stuff I saved from getting tossed from neighbor's greenhouse, plus the jeweled fiber optic barrettes I made last year for "Shiny".

The cloak is out of the train from my first wedding dress, cut and draped, with little fur "tails" I made from some fake fur -- more of which you can see on the hem of the dress.

The fake fur is trimmed like an ermine or mink coat, cut to have "rows" of fur. Since the skirt is more or less a circle I had to cut the fur in short pieces and cut the sides of each piece at an angle to keep the "rows" going horizontally all around. 

The dress is my first wedding dress. I removed the sleeves, opened the sides and put in strips of elastic (I'm not the same size I was then), and cut off the train. The over-dress is organza and silver lace. I beaded the edges of all the skirt panels as well as frost designs on some of the panels and on the snowflakes on the sleeves, plus a few simple ornaments on the silver trim of the neck opening. The snowflakes I made from pieces of the silver trim.


Foundation is a petticoat. Not bad, but I think it would look better with a stiffer foundation, to make the skirt go out more -- the fur weighed it down quite a bit.

The gloves I was able to wear both for this outfit and for Silvermist the next day. The fan I already had.

Overall I'm not unhappy with this costume, but I'd like to "ice" it up a little more. I'll have to think about that at some point down the line.  I'm pretty happy with the dress modding though, and keeping it separate from the over dress means I have the possibility of using it with some other costume in the future as well.  Oh, and the bow from the original dress became part of the mini-bustle for my black-and-white Steampunk outfit, so not too much waste from this up-cycle.












No comments:

Post a Comment