Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Sleeve Progress

Gotten a little further on sleeves for Snow Queen. Mostly I work on it as a break from doing other things, so it'll take a while to make, especially over the next few weeks. I'm also working on curtains for the bedroom (yes, still), as well as rearranging things all over the place. And the porch has been pretty much eating my time up in large chunks but I think I'm finally done with that for a bit. Well, except for decorating the tree, but that can wait.

Anyway, here's a picture!


The lower part of the sleeve is rows of lace sewn together. I then added a row onto the bottom of the upper half of the sleeve. Then I made the snowflakes.



Well, then I made some small pleats while attaching the lower and upper halves.

These are mostly from new materials. I found a place online for the lace at a good price, and the fabric was on sale at JoAnn's.

The snowflakes are made from pieces I cut off while getting the lace matched up for the long cuffs, so a reduction in waste there.  They're beaded with blue glass rocaille and bugle beads, and also white pearl beads. The glass ones I bought new last year, the "pearls" I bought new as well, back when I was doing a lot of pearling in the SCA.

***

I wanted to have a coat with this, but then the dress would be hidden -- okay in a costume contest where you can walk around, take off the coat, and walk some more, but terrible for a hall costume.

I also thought it would be nice if I could wear the coat outside of a convention so...what I'm going to try to do is make a sleeveless coat/robe that I can attach sleeves to for actual outdoor wear. I have a lovely plush grey velour and also some white fake fur that I've been using for extra warmth in the bedroom, which should look great!

***

Originally I was going to have a blue skirt and in fact it's mostly done. But as I continued to do research I realized that the bluer winter beings like Snegurochka are a winter-into-spring theme. I want to go icier, so the deeper, more intense blue is now out. No worries, I'll wear that skirt with something else!

I have another option now -- my first wedding dress. I had it kicking around because I was thinking I'd remake it into something else and never got around to it. I think it'll be a fine base for the snow queen, and the light blue organza looks good over it. Now I have to decide if I want to keep the train or not...


No comments:

Post a Comment