Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Organizing a Costume

Still a work in progress, and of course it depends on what the pieces are for a given costume, but I found that bagging and/or hanging the accessories together before going to Dragon Con made it easier for me to keep track of all the parts.  Below is a hanger with clips with my Miskatonic U accessories -- socks on one clip, pom poms on the other, and pony tails hung on the hook part. I took it to Dragon Con this way too, as I had no idea how to pack crin without crushing it and my brain was working on too many projects to figure it out. I should probably go through my empty boxes and find one the right size, but for now it gets hung up.

Before D*C, I had it hanging next to the cheerleader outfit, and shoes on the floor. Easy to eyeball and see if anything's missing.

Other costumes had multiple small things, so I put them in one of those zippered bags that sheets and pillow cases sometimes come in. Those are great! Clear, sturdy, and usually have a hanger hook on them so you can hang it with the costume.

Overall, this worked well for me.


This didn't work in the case of my wig for Batgirl (which got left behind), but I think that was because even though I had it grouped with the costume, it wasn't hanging up.  The floor was a bit chaotic and I think it blended in with the chaos.  So I'll have to work on a better staging area for next time.

Currently I am working on putting nearly all the wigs in one place in the house. I think I only need to find homes for a couple more -- good thing I don't have a ton of them... I have a few hats in that spot too, so perhaps I'll move the hats elsewhere, in order to get all the wigs in one place.

No comments:

Post a Comment