Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Dragon Con 2014 - Final Part (3 of 3)

So, more generally, a few more things...

1) New vs Used/Extant -- It can definitely be argued that some of the latter should actually be labeled as New, if I bought them new.  I put some of those types of things (mostly fabric) under Used/Extant because I used to shop more actively and built up a good-sized stash, some of which has been with me for years, so it just doesn't feel new I guess.  Some of it was bought for projects that didn't happen, some as staple fabrics (SCA people generally need white linen, for instance), and all of it on sale (of course!).  However it's labeled, it's been great getting some things out of the stash, making things, emptying partial spools of thread, etc.

2) Wearability -- One of my personal rules is you have to be able to move, preferably unhindered. My simple description for this is "I wear clothes I can kick in." -- I practice kung fu, hence the kicking reference.

I'm a little concerned about that with one of next year's projects, but this year every one of my outfits passed the test.

3) Every one of my costumes must have at least one thing that isn't new, and preferably more. And I mean really not new, as opposed to unused fabric I've had around for a while.  Not only does this (usually) keep the cost down, but it's better for the environment.  Conventions, like most large-scale human gatherings, aren't good for the environment, but that's no reason to completely give up on personal responsibility. My humble opinion, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment